Pila came from the Tagalog word “PILAPIL” a mixture of mud and soil which serve as divider and pathways in the ricefield. Soil and stone are symbols of the Saga of Pila.
The town was discovered by Don Jose Salvador in 1151 when it was located in Pagalangan, now Victoria, Laguna.On July 29, 1575 the administration of Pila Pagalangan given to Don Hernando Ramirez by Don Miguel Lopez de Legazpi. The word “Pila” was first published and recorded in Spain that is why Araw ng Pila is celebrated on July 29.
How to Get There
Pila is bounded on the northeast by Sta. Cruz, on the southeast by Liliw, on the southwest by Victoria and on the northwest by Laguna de Bay.
The town can be reached by both public and private transport. A travel from Manila to Pila and vice versa takes one hour and 45 minutes and is 20 minutes away from Sta. Cruz.
Sites and Events
A stroll through the town will convey the impression that Pila is a town with a storied past and heir to a colorful heritage. The numerous antique houses are lining the town’s main avenue. It is evident that it communicates a nostalgia from a bygone era.
Araw ng Pila is celebrated every 29th of July and June 13 in honor of San Antonio de Padua.
Pileños are into cottage industry such as garments, woodcrafts, furniture, bamboo craft and embroidering. Some sources of income come from piggery, poultry, fishing and basically agriculture.
[ back to Laguna Webpage ]