In 1571, the town was called San Pedro Tunasan and it was only a village, a part of the old town of Tabuko. The name San Pedro was in honor of St. Peter the Apostle while the appendage Tunasan came from the name of a place known for an abundant supply of "tunas", a medicinal plant.
San Pedro became a town on January 18, 1725 when it separated from Tabuko. Along with the barrios of Cuyab, San Antonio, Landayan, and Poblacion, San Pedro later included the barrios of San Vicente (1812), San Roque (1880), Sto. Niņo (1897), Estrella, Langgam, Laram, Bagong Silang (1914-1917), and Nueva (1973).
However, San Pedro was temporarily placed under the jurisdiction of Biņan on January 1, 1903, for a more efficient administrative control. This lasted for four years.
On August 30, 1954 President Ramon Magsaysay signed the Tenancy Act in San Pedro's town plaza. The signing of the law that was referred to as "a milestone in resolving the tenant-landlord problem" put San Pedro as a key landmark in the annals of agrarian reform.
Please mail in any comments or errors encountered.
Copyright © 1998 Laguna Internet