San Pablo City
During the pre-Spanish times, Sampaloc, composed of four big barrios, was bounded by Mt. Banahaw and Mt. Makiling. It was in 1521 that Sampaloc was renamed San Pablo de los Montes. San Pablo became a parish in 1596 and then a municipality in 1647.
It wasn't until 1941 that San Pablo became a city. The passage of a charter bill in 1940, known as the City Charter of San Pablo or Commonwealth Act No. 520, made San Pablo into a city. Inaugurated on March 30, 1941, San Pablo City's first appointed City Mayor was Dr. Potenciano Malvar.
Please mail in any comments or errors encountered.
Copyright © 1998 Laguna Internet