Pangil was founded in 1579 by two Franciscan missionaries. The town's name is believed to have come from three coincidental circumstances: one historical version was that it was named after the fang of a wild boar called "Pangil" in the vernacular; another version accounts to the first native inhabitants of the place called "Pangilagan"; and the third version relates about the place being once dominated by the first pre-Spanish chieftain named Gat Pangil.
In 1611, a church was built in Pangil and here was where the image of Our Lady of La O was venerated. Destroyed by an earthquake in 1880, the church was reconstructed in 1884 and was finished during the end of 1885.
The advent of the American regime brought big changes to the town. Agriculture was revived and other means of livelihood were introduced to bolster the income of the people. Transportation and communication facilities were improved. And education was extended to the masses.
The Japanese Occupation was the darkest interlude in the history of the town. Massive destruction of properties and killings were wanton.
On March 28, 1945, the American Air Force dropped bombs in the town which destroyed the church. What was left untouched was the main altar.
Situated in the northeastern part of Laguna, Pangil is bounded on the north by Siniloan, on the east by the Sierra Madre Mountain Range, on the south by Pakil, and on the west by Laguna de Bay.
Pangil is 121 kilometers from Manila via Manila East Road passing Sta. Cruz, Laguna and only 85 kilometers via Pililia, Rizal. Basically an inland municipality, Pangil is accessible by both land and water.
Please mail in any comments or errors encountered.
Copyright © 1998 Laguna Internet