Pagsanjan was originally a barrio of Lumban. Eight Chinese and Japanese traders founded the town in 1668. In 1673, it became a town, and was the capital of Laguna from 1688 to 1792.
The municipality derived its name from the word "Pinagsangahan" --a Tagalog word for the branching of two rivers, Bumbungan and Balanac.
In 1901, Pagsanjan's municipal government was established. 1941 was the year Japanese soldiers entered the town. Four years later, American bombers and fighter planes swooped down in the town and subjected it to carpet bombing.
Please mail in any comments or errors encountered.
Copyright © 1998 Laguna Internet