Before being a Christian community, Nagcarlan was headed by a valiant datu named Gat Lakilaw. The town's conversion to Christianity began in 1578 and it formally became a "pueblo" in 1583 under a Franciscan friar.
It was here in Nagcarlan where Fr. Juan de Placencia, a Franciscan missionary, wrote the first Diccionario Hispanico-Tagalog in 1579. His manuscript Costumbrez de los Tagalog which was written ten years later, was used as a guide by the alcaldes mayores for effective and righteous local governance.It was in 1851 when the famous Underground Cemetery was built.
Nagcarlan is 99 kilometers from Manila when passed through San Pablo City. However, it too can be reached via Sta. Cruz , Laguna's capital. Once in Nagcarlan, its town proper is accessible to all types of land vehicles plying Sta. Cruz and San Pablo City. This municipality is also fairly accessible from Calauan and Lucban in Quezon.
Please mail in any comments or errors encountered.
Copyright © 1998 Laguna Internet