A conservative town in Laguna lying at the foot of Mt. Banahaw, Magdalena was once a barrio of Majayjay. A petition from its residents in 1819 made the barrio a town on January 18, 1820. It was first named Magdalena de Ambling, from its patron saint, Sta. Maria Magdalena and the barrio of Ambling where it was first established.
In November of 1896, the men of Magdalena joined the revolutionaries from the province of Laguna to form a bigger force. It was also in the town's church that Emilio Jacinto sought refuge when he was wounded during one of the encounters.
When the Americans arrived at the turn of the century, the townsfolk of Magdalena fled to the mountains for fear of being killed. Seeing that their fears were unfounded, they returned. This also brought about the installation of secular or Filipino priests. With the advent of another foreign occupation in the country, the Americans enforced a new system of government. The election of government officials was conducted regularly. It was during this time that rebels called "tulisanes" formed a force to oppose the foreign rule.
On June 15, 1929 electricity was introduced to Magdalena. Life continued under the American rule until the second World War broke out in 1941. Magdalena, as well as the other provinces in the country and the country itself, was liberated from the Japanese's tyranny.
For the past years since 1972, Magdalena has been cited as one of the cleanest and most beautiful and peaceful in the province.
Please mail in any comments or errors encountered.
Copyright © 1998 Laguna Internet