It is believed that Lumban got its name from a tree. Lumbang trees once grew abundantly in the area now occupied by Lumban's Catholic church and municipal building. During that time, the lumbang tree was the main source of oil for lighting and cooking.
Lumban is also one of the oldest towns in Laguna, older even than Sta. Cruz, Pagsanjan, and Cavinti. In fact, these three towns were once part of Lumban.
In 1600, a church made of rocks, stone, and lime was built. It was the first of its kind in Laguna. However, it was destroyed by an earthquake in 1680. New buildings were built and rebuilt bacause of damages wrought by typhoons, fires and earthquakes. Lumban's present church building was rebuilt from the ruins of the American bombing raids during World War II.
Please mail in any comments or errors encountered.
Copyright © 1998 Laguna Internet