The town of Kalayaan was originally made up of three visitas: Babaye (now Longos), Abacao (now San Juan), and San Pablo (now San Antonio). The Spaniards arrived here in 1577 and started their mission of Christianizing the Filipinos. In 1600, the three visitas were incorporated with Paete until 1699 when the visitas became a separate entity. Only a part of San Pablo was still under Paete but this too became separated in 1755.
When the Americans came, Longos, San Antonio, and Pakil became a part of the municipality of Paete again by virtue of Public Law No. 959. Five years after, Longos became independent while San Antonio became a barrio of Longos. During World War II, many sons of Longos joined the underground movement called Hukbalahap.
In March 30, 1946, Executive Order No. 127 signed by Pres. Manuel Roxas enabled the transfer of the seat of government from Longos to San Juan. From then on, a part of San Juan became the Poblacion, while Longos, San Antonio, and the rest of San Juan became its barangays.
Please mail in any comments or errors encountered.
Copyright © 1998 Laguna Internet